#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

During the election campaign in Canada's recent federal election (October) I
was watching news coverage of a Conservative rally.  One individual from the
floor of the meeting said, "Do you know how many children drown in swimming
pools every year?"  it took me a moment to catch on to what he was saying.  He
was referring to the drowning death of Aylan Kurdi and the wave of sympathy
that the news of that death provoked.  Apparently he was trying to undercut
that sympathy.  It struck me as a rather stupid thing to say.

So this week when I heard a fragment on a CBC program referring to the
suggestion that Kurdi might have grown up to be an "ass groper," I assumed that
this had come from a similar right wing source.  It did not occur to me that
this might have been from Charlie Hebdo.  Maybe I am living in the past, still
seeing Charlie Hebdo as coming out of the radicalization of '68.

Why does Charlie Hebdo do such stupid things?  I don't believe the editors are
stupid and I don't think they have some great character flaw.  I think they do
not understand the national question.  And I think they have an entirely
mistaken conception of how we can challenge the hold of religious belief.

                                        ken h