#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

@Dennis,

Are you saying it's naive to think such changes will be made, or that it's
naive to think such changes would matter? Frankly, I was not particularly
hopeful about this election, and I know not to ask for the whole loaf when
a few bread crumbs is all the system is designed to give. If I expected
much more, I would not be on this kind of list.

@Gary

I think you are right that there are many things that ultimately affect
policy, and yes, what is said during campaigning is obviously not
guaranteed to make any sort of difference. But I do think that party
platforms are more than just cheap talk. Granted, the President is not
necessarily required to follow what the Party tells her; but the factors
that *do* matter -- like what rank-and-file party members, local officials,
and so on do and think -- probably are affected. For example, on
Israel/Palestine, it is pretty clear where Hillary Clinton stands, namely
on the graves of thousands of dead children in Gaza. As part of the
Executive Branch, the President has "plenary authority" derived from
separation of powers in the US Constitution that allows her to act
independently of Congress, let alone her Party. However, the limits of what
is acceptable are affected by what domestic constituents want. Given the
effect that freezing out the Palestinians has been a major aspect of what
the Democratic Party is doing on every level -- whether it is Governor
Cuomo's bill in New York or all of the different state bills that are being
pushed by Democrats to ensure bipartisan support for Israel -- a change in
the platform might seriously undermine attempts by the DP to continue
marching in lock step out of party loyalty. They might still do it out of
other loyalties but the space it opens up is not insignificant.

- Amith