#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi Gary,

I went to the protest tonight; at about 7 o’clock when I left I think it would
be more accurate to say there was more like 1,000 people there.

(As I’m sure you’re aware) there’s an argument Corbyn has lost support due to
the lacklustre campaign he ran to stay in the EU. The counter argument is that
Corbyn’s reserved endorsement for remain was more in tune with a sceptical
Labour base than many of his MPs (who painted the EU as a land of milk, honey
and worker’s rights). It’s completely conceivable Corbyn did lose some support
from some of his young supporters who were overwhelmingly in favour of
remaining. But his mandate was such it is unlikely that it has made much
difference (given the lack of support the others received). And so its also
unlikely that this coup will be successful. But I’m beyond doubtful this has
translated into much public support outside of the membership – I.e. in terms
of Corbyn being able to win a general election – and the likelihood is we may
well face a snap election this year to give Cameron’s successor a proper
mandate to negotiate Brexit and, most likely, reboot Osborne’s austerity
programme.

Jamie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gary MacLennan via Marxism