#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

cast my first vote in 1964 --- yes, I apologize for not mentioning 1964, I
thought Goldwater was a potential war monger (but I dont' think I thought
he was a fascist -- just in bed with the Southern racists).

Let me be clear -- DEMOCRATS may have played the "fear of ultra-right
policies" every election since 1948 (but mostly they ran against Herbert
Hoover till about 1972) --- but I am talking about leftists ---Old age
addles the memory (this memory) but I am convinced that aside from 2004 and
2016, the "fear of fascism" argument was NOT prevalent on the left --- (buy
maybe I am engaging in selective memory -- it happens!)

1972 -- McGovern was going to end the War in Vietnam - leftists supported
him for that positive reason

1976 -- leftists didn't give a shit --

1980 --- were leftists yelling that Reagan was a fascist?

1984 -- Maybe -- based on some right-wing policies of the first Reagan
administration

1988 -- don't remember leftists saying Bush was a fascist

1992 -- ditto

1996 --- leftists couldn't stand Clinton

2000 -- already mentioned that one

2004 --- the "ayatollahs" of the religious right with their "God, Gays and
Guns" campaigns didn start to scare lots of people

2008 -- optimistic "takes" on Obama

2012 -- ditto

2016 -- Trump and incipient fascist