#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

1) The YPG did not exist in 2011, although there was a small precursor
organisation.  The revolutionaries were busy organising the people of Rojava,
in preparation for the insurrection that occurred in July 2012.

After the insurrection, the most immediate threat to Rojava came from
Turkish-backed groups, not the Assad regime.

Fear of Turkey - justified given Turkey's extreme hostility to Kurdish
self-determination - led to distrust of rebel groups supported by Turkey.
Rojava tried to remain separate from both the Assad regime and the
Turkish-backed rebels.

2) I am not familiar with the details of  Ebu Omer Idlibi's history.  But I
assume that having been driven out of Idlib, and having joined the Syrian
Democratic Forces, he would have participated in  SDF campaigns against ISIS
etc.

The SDF policy is to not initiate military conflict with Assadist forces, but
to fight back if attacked.

Chris Slee