#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Michael Karadjis quotes SDF commander Ebu Omer Idlibi (Abu Omar al-Idlibi), who
said:

“They [Jabhat al-Nusra] proceeded to disband our forces because we fought ISIS
and we
were against putting the revolution on a jihadist path …. When we
continued to fight ISIS, all terrorists came together under Turkey’s
orders and attacked us. We were forced to leave Idlib.”

Michael tries to cast doubt on Idlibi's account by saying that there was no
presence of ISIS in Idlib province at the time when Idlibi's group was forced
to leave the area (towards the end of 2014).  Michael says:

"Sheer fantasy.
ISIS was driven root and branch from Idlib in January 2014 by the SRF
and other rebel groups (including mainstream Islamist groups). There
has been no ISIS since then in Idlib for them to fight alone; and all
the other rebel groups in Idlib, including HTS, are mortally opposed
to ISIS, despite this little groups claiming to be the unique heroes."

In reality, there was a temporary revival of ISIS in Idlib in the second half
of 2014, as a result of the greatly increased prestige and resources it gained
through its capture of Mosul in June 2014.

Aron Lund, in his article "Who are the soldiers of the Islamic State", says:

"The Islamic State’s whirlwind successes in Iraq in June 2014 sparked a flood
of new defections. Within days of the fall of Mosul, a group of FSA leaders in
eastern Syria had defected, including the officers responsible for the FSA’s
local ammunition stockpiles. Many members of the Nusra Front and the Islamic
Front did the same, and so did a host of smaller factions and local clans who
realized that the Islamic State was on the verge of taking over their region.
Indeed, as all organized and armed opposition melted away, it didn’t take long
until the Islamic State had cleansed the entire region of its rivals, leaving
only pockets of resistance.

"In the northwestern province of Idlib, the so-called Dawood Brigade (which was
already very close to the Islamic State) also decided to jump on the bandwagon
and sent a large convoy of fighters to the Islamic State capital of Raqqa.
Stray groups of rebels are in fact arriving to Raqqa from Idlib even now,
months later."

http://carnegie-mec.org/diwan/57021?lang=en

Given that ISIS was present in Idlib in the second half of 2014, there is no
reason to doubt that Abu Omar al-Idlibi's group fought against it at that time.
 There is no reason to question his veracity.

But he does not claim to have fought ISIS "alone", as Michael suggests.  He
says:

"We and some forces like us fighting under different names were removed from
Idlib in 2014 by terrorist forces. Jabhat Al Nusra attacked us as we were
fighting the regime and ISIS".

Thus it was not just Abu Omar al-Idlibi's group, but also "some forces like us".

Chris Slee