#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Mike's position reminds me of the story I've told before--brace yourself,
you're going to hear it again--about when I asked a great uncle why he
voted Republican.  He told me about his grandfather and Abraham Lincoln and
how, in his youth, he got inspired by Teddy Roosevelt.  Well, I was just a
wee sprout at the time, but knew that Abe Lincoln was dead about ninety
years before and Teddy Roosevelt had almost forty years before.

Nowadays, every time I have a serious discussion with someone who thinks we
should vote Democratic, they tell me about FDR, a mere eighty years ago or
maybe LBJ half a century in the rear view mirror.

In the end, though, Mike's presented no real evidence for this fanciful
interpretation of WWII (which really fleshed out the American empire), much
less addressing the situation we face right now.  several generations
later. . . . Because the Democrats have changed very fundamentally . . .
according to the Democratic movers and shakers themselves.  This is often
seen as a superficial shift to the right, but it reflects a series of
deliberate structural changes in the character of the party to promulgate a
new strategy.

Cheers,
Mark L.

PS: As to whether that pits us against "the resistance" . . . .well, let me
take a page from Mike's approach and go back to WWII.  If a French person
grumbles about the German occupation but supported the Vichy as a "lesser
evil," would you take that as the position of "the resistance"?