#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Odd. I just discovered that Wolforth was a FB friend. As I do customarily with croakers, I unfriended him.

About 25 years ago I read his memoir, "The Prophet's Children", and enjoyed it thoroughly. There's a great passage in it about being at an SWP branch meeting (this was after he rejoined in the 1970s) and feeling alienated by the proceedings. He noticed a butterfly fluttering not far from him and his attention became riveted on it rather than the report to the branch meeting. I loved that passage and remember it all these years.

The memoir was close in spirit to Irving Howe's "A Margin of Hope" that is also very interesting, with the same rueful quality.

Me, I can't understand how such people can drift toward social democracy in their 60s and 70s. Every day I read the NY Times, I feel like going out and throwing bombs like an anarchist.