#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Feb 11, 2020, at 6:40 PM, John Reimann <1999wild...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Michael Roberts, author of the website thenextrecession.wordpress.com
> <http://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/> is probably one of the most serious
> Marxist economists around. Here is his critique of Modern Monetary Theory
> (MMT).
> https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/modern-monetary-theory-part-1-chartalism-and-marx/
>
> <https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/modern-monetary-theory-part-1-chartalism-and-marx/>
> If MMT is the basis for Sanders' claim that his health care program (plus
> paying for student debt and a host of other programs) can all be paid for,
> then I don't find his claim credible. Since there evidently are no other more
> concrete plans to pay for these programs, then I think a large dose of
> skepticism is justified.

Michael has done lots of great work; that hardly means he’s always right, and
his engagement with MMT has been appalling — shallow and in bad faith. I’ve
personally seen him admit that his characterization of MMT was not based on
anything anyone writing in its name has said or written, but is just “his
opinion” of what they really mean. His critique makes clear that he hasn’t
really read any of the materials seriously — merely with an eye towards
distilling out a strawman that he can debunk. I've lost a fair amount of
respect for him over the past year or so from watching his sophistical, evasive
treatment of this emerging body of ideas.

But I know there can be great comfort in believing there’s no need to grapple
with new ideas and new insights.

For those who might be interested in seeing how a young Latino radical sees
these ideas being put to work, check out Raul Carrillo’s excellent contribution
to this 2018 Left Forum panel, starting just after the 1-hour mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwNTrN-Lhss