I have to admit that he mere mention of the name of Obama is not enough to
convince me to oppose the current health-care bill. My main problem is that
I do not understand what is in this legislation. It appears to be a mixed
bag, it is a thousand pages long, and God only knows how many gifts to big
business or cuts in service may be hidden in nooks and crannies of that
tinker-toy skyscraper.

While there has been a right-wing mobilization, partly financed directly and
indirectly by the insurance industry, noone should be deluded that only
organized gun-toting reactionaries are alarmed or worried about what is in
or might be in the bill.

I believe there are good things in the bill. In particular the bans on
insurance companies refusing to cover pre-existing conditions and barring
them from cancelling the policies of people who get sick. There is also more
money for Medicaid, the most "single payer" and effective of all the
government medical programs. Since it largely services the undeserving poor,
however, it always hangs by a thread and is never presented as a model.

The attempt to get everybody insured -- even by private companies -- is not
all bad. But I don't like the idea that an insurance company can get the
Feds on your tail if you can't pay your premiums which, of course, would
rise annually at least. I don't know if the system would work that way or
not, but I am suspicious and would like more information. This is certainly
the situation thousands of working people face around obligatory auto
insurance, where the soaring premiums force many to drive outside the law to
get to their jobs.

I also believe that the public option, crippled though it is, would be a
foot in the door for single payer, and that is why it is so fiercely opposed
-- even though Obama seems quite willing to turn it over to a major
insurance giant for safe keeping and neutralization.

What needs to be most firmly opposed in the legislation?

Above all, there is Obama's promise to cut $500 billion from Medicare if
this bill is adopted. He says this will not affect service, but how can we
be sure since noone has seen the replacement system at work? This is the
main cause of the anxiety to panic among medicare recipients. Without that,
the Town Hall operation would have had vastly less power and ability to
cause or, more accurately, reveal and spread confusion and misinformation.

When people say, "keep the government's hands off my Medicare!" liberals
seem inclined to sagely reply that Medicare itself is a government program.
This is a case of hearing but not listening. These people may or may not be
ignorant of the fact that Medicare is a government program. But that is not
what concerns them. They are concerned that Obama has made the promise to
massively cut the program that covers them NOW.

How condescending the response to these people -- probably the most
mainstream opponents of the legislation at the town hall meetings.

How can they assume that they will not lose out? Especially keeping in mind
the constant drum fire about cost-cutting as the need of the hour, in a
country which does such a poor job of providing the people with medical
care.

And this is the heart of the QUESTION OF PRINCIPLE for working people,
including Blacks, Latinos, and the mass of women. Is this bill about cutting
costs or providing medical care? If it's about cutting costs, working people
and the oppressed will come out losers, as we always do when the government
"cuts costs" and we lose jobs, wages, education, hospitals and so on and so
on.

We have no particular stske in cutting the costs of the ruling class or
their government at all. It is true that a single payer system would in some
respects cut costs IN PASSING, BUT OUR INTEREST IN IT IS GUARANTEEING
MEDICAL CARE AS A RIGHT, not reducing the deficit. We support every
extension and every improvement of the quality of medical care available to
the people regardless of how expensively the state ends up running it.  This
is why even liberal efforts to repeal the Bush prescription drug program
shoud be opposed, unless it is replaced by something that meets the needs of
the people better.

The $500 billion cut in Medicare should be dropped and, if not dropped, it
must be opposed.

Here is an article on a Republican campaign against health-care reform that
seems aimed at more mainstream layers than the right-wingers who dominated
the earlier town halls.
Fred Feldman

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26491.html

New GOP tactic: The counter-town hall
By: Michael Falcone
August 30, 2009 07:15 AM EST

Republican challengers across the country have found a new way of
capitalizing on the roiling emotions surrounding congressional health care
town hall meetings.

Driven by intense voter interest in the topic, the almost-certain promise of
media coverage and the opportunity to upstage incumbent Democrats, GOP
candidates in state after state are holding their own health care town halls
- and reveling in the subsequent publicity bonanza.

The health care events are proving to be a boon for those seeking to oust
incumbents, delivering the most precious of political commodities - voter
attention and local press coverage.

Florida Republican Allen West, who is running against Rep. Ron Klein
(D-Fla.), said his Deerfield Beach town hall meeting earlier this month drew
several hundred local residents, many of whom stayed long after the
90-minute session ended to chat with him.

Just as important, the event was the subject of extensive media coverage and
was streamed live on a local news website.

"We made the 11 o'clock news," said West.

"I just think that if you're a smart candidate right now, you should be
getting out there and getting in front of the people," he said. "If you're
not doing that, you're putting yourself behind the eight ball."

The challenger town halls serve another important purpose by offering
candidates the chance to fill the void left by incumbent Democrats who have
opted against holding large-scale, in-person town halls out of fear of
raucous crowds or out of a desire to talk to constituents in smaller or more
controlled settings.

Adam Kinzinger, a Republican who's running against freshman Democratic Rep.
Deborah Halvorson in Illinois, held five town halls to highlight his
criticism of the congresswoman's avoidance of public health care meetings
during the August recess.

Halvorson's approach has been to schedule telephone town halls - events that
are akin to a telephone conference call - and to place a health care reform
survey on her congressional website.

"I just decided that if she's not going to throw the town hall meetings,
then we'll do it," Kinzinger told POLITICO, claiming that each of his events
drew a crowd of hundreds. "By the time this is said and done, my campaign
will have provided close to 1,500 people the opportunity to speak out on
health care."

Kinzinger isn't the only one staging town halls to make a point. In
Washington state, Republican Jon Russell scheduled a series of four public
forums "focusing primarily on the federal deficit and health care reform" to
provide a contrast with his Democratic opponent, Rep. Brian Baird, who at
first declined to hold open health care town hall meetings.

Baird, who drew criticism in early August for saying that health care reform
opponents who disrupted meetings used "Brown Shirt tactics," a reference to
Nazi storm troopers, later relented and announced his own series of public
meetings, in addition to the telephone town halls he already planned.

In Arkansas, Republicans have also wielded town halls as a weapon against
Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), who is seeking reelection in 2010.

Lincoln, who originally had no open health care meetings scheduled for the
August recess, generated controversy in early August by referring to
disruptive protesters as "un-American." While she later backed away from
that statement, Arkansas Republicans kept the heat on.

Senate candidate Tom Cox, a Tea Party organizer, vowed in an an August 17
campaign blog post to hold a series of health care-themed public meetings
before the end of the month-he held his first on Saturday. The state GOP
scheduled its own series of health care town halls, dubbed the "Listening to
Arkansas" tour,.

On August 18, Lincoln announced that she would hold three "town-hall style"
forums in early September.
Officials with the National Republican Congressional Committee declined to
say whether they were specifically encouraging GOP candidates to hold town
hall meetings in places where incumbents were avoiding them. But they said
the development would help GOP candidates gain traction at a time when
public skepticism over health care reform appears to be growing.

"The question so many Democrats are asking themselves is this: Is it better
to duck and cover through Election Day, or is it better to listen but ignore
their concerns?" said NRCC spokesman Tory Mazzola.

Jennifer Crider, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign
Committee, questioned the sincerity of the GOP approach.

"Their candidates are getting bashed," she said. "Misleading constituents
about the facts on health care reform isn't something to be proud of, and
local press is calling Republicans out on it. Republican candidates can
parrot Washington Republicans' misleading talking points, while Democrats
are engaging in an open conversation about the need for health insurance
reform."

If nothing else, the counter-town halls have succeeded in one important way
- they've been effective in fostering the impression that some Democratic
incumbents are reluctant to meet with the public.

In the case of Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D-N.H.), whose GOP challenger Frank
Giunta has a town hall scheduled for Monday, the scrutiny over her reticence
to hold open town halls led to unflattering press coverage.

The congresswoman made her name as an anti-war activist who followed the
incumbent she defeated in 2006 from town hall to town hall. She was even
escorted out of a 2005 town hall meeting featuring President George W. Bush,
so her aversion to scheduling such events as an officeholder struck a nerve.

"The conclusion has to be that she doesn't want to face questions from
people who disagree with her positions, particularly on health care," wrote
the Portsmouth Herald, in an editorial. "We find this curious and
regrettable, especially given her history of challenging her predecessor,
Jeb Bradley, for nearly two years during his town hall meetings. Some might
say she hounded him."

Shea-Porter ultimately relented and agreed to hold a town hall meeting on
Saturday- two days before Guinta's event.

In Texas, GOP challenger Rob Curnock, who has planned a series of
face-to-face public town hall meetings, took credit for Democratic Rep. Chet
Edwards's recent change of heart on health care town halls.

Edwards had initially scheduled a telephone town hall meeting and smaller
gatherings with constituents but no public town hall forums. Yet not long
after Curnock revealed his plans - and after demonstrations outside his
district offices - Edwards announced that he would hold three in-person
forums before the end of the month despite his "initial concerns about a
handful of people disrupting the discussion."

"Evidently we really put him on the spot," said Curnock, who also ran
against Edwards in 2008. "This has stirred up a real hornet's nest. I feel
strongly that people should have the chance to have their say, and if the
congressman won't do it, I will listen."

Two weeks ago, the two ended up holding dueling events on the same night,
with Curnock participating in the first of his four town hall meetings and
Edwards speaking to his constituents via conference call.

A spokesman for Edwards noted that the congressman was able to reach many
times more residents than Curnock.

"Congressman Edwards spoke to nearly 20,000 constituents directly about
health care Thursday night," said Edwards spokesman Josh Taylor. "Mr.
Curnock, according to press reports, spoke to approximately 100. Those
results speak for themselves."

While Democrats have mostly been the targets of the challenger town halls,
there's at least one Democrat who has turned the tables on an incumbent
Republican - Ami Bera, who is running for Congress in northern California.

While his opponent, GOP Rep. Dan Lungren, has been holding town hall
meetings across the district, Bera is hoping to take advantage of his
background as a physician by hosting his own health care forums next week.
He called health care "the driving reason" he entered the race.

"I'm compelled to talk about it and compelledpeople's stories - in many ways
these are my stories as a doctor," said Bera. "Would I be doing this anyway?
Yes. Does the focus on health care right now accelerate the need for these
conversations? Yes."

C 2009 Capitol News Company, LLC