Les wrote:
2009/9/1 Les Schaffer <schaf...@optonline.net>:

> i can think of two or three solutions to this problem...
>
> 1. a separate companion list for news and forwards

>From my standpoint, this proposal is utterly without value.  My comments on
the list often, and even usually take the form of comments on articles, a
form of participation which Les apparently regards as not constituting
discussion because a post is attached. It is my experience that posts are
more often read if they are provided in full. So this is one of the ways I
participate in discussion, not the opposite of discussion as Les insists.

I don't do a lot of independent essay-writing, but mostly bounce off other
things that I read. Sign of a half-baked mind, of course, but that's me.

Separate list for discussion and articles would thus effectively paralyze a
large part of my participation.

The very article Les chose to target was a discussion piece, not simply the
posting of an article. Les ignored that fact in his arguments counterposing
articles to discussion.

The approach Les suggests will tend to turn the list into a plethora of
three or four line back and forth "discussion" a propos of nothing in
particular. I think that's the road to hell.

The rule Les is now making obligatory is an obstacle for my participation.
But the owner owns. The moderator moderates. And we guests on their list
have to follow their rules, whether they make complete sense or not.
Fred