I don't really see a problem with the long posts.  Yesterday, for example,
DNRath posted  a simply extraordinary, and long,  article on shipbreaking in
India.  The list will be poorer without these types of contributions.

Speaking of contributions, several days ago in discussing railroads and
development I floated to the list several ideas about development in, and
the development of the revolution in Mexico.  I neglected to say that much
of those ideas was worked out in offlist communication with Greg McDonald,
whose own analysis sparked me to begin a deeper investigation of Mexico, and
whose ideas, which sounded good to me before I started that investigation,
sound still better now that I'm in the midst of it.