Really?  How important was it?  Correa has been quite forceful, physically,
in his rejection of the indigenous peoples' protest, led by CONAIE, against
the mineral and mining law that declares minerals to be a public utility
[thus giving mining something like eminant domain, and priority claims to
water and land over communities], but a field for private development.

Canada his excavated an open pit copper mine in Ecuador's Amazon region,
which has become the target of further protests.  To counter that
resistance, Correa has invited the Canadians to demonstrate their sterling
record of respect for indigenous cultures to the Ecuadorean people, stating:

""[Canada] has understood how to respect and benefit its ancestral peoples,"
said Correa during a national radio address. The first people to benefit in
Canada from mining, he added, "are the ancestral peoples."

I am not making this up.  You can read more and Upside Down World.

http://upsidedownworld.org/main/content/view/1871/49/

Taking the side of the people against imperialism--  when he is following
the recommendations of the imperialists to substitue mining for oil
drilling?

No we shouldn't sneer at victories, nor should we disguise capitulation,
betrayal  as a victory.

The wages of "nationalism" are nothing but surplus value to line the pockets
of imperialism.