"I am stunned that someone on this list would defend the rape ...."
Have I defended a rape?
I have given the right of the victim of the crime to speak.  You apparently
disagree with her conclusions to have her own say in the matter for the greater
good of the bourgeois courts. The judge proved his inability to honor the plea
agreement.
And a million dollars, or what ever she negotiated, probably helped her more
that his jailing. The question here is who decides.  Does the court deserve a
second chance, despite the victim's opinion.
Adam