Carrol Cox wrote:
> So what is the purpose of this endless chatter about the state of the
> economy?

I think Csrrol might be confused over something. In the earliest days of
the Great Depression, the shock of mass unemployment left workers
demoralized and at odds about what to do.

It was only when there was an uptick in the economy that they began to
gain self-confidence and embark on the drive to organize industrial unions.

Needless to say, this has little to do with our situation today. I think
it is important for us to analyze the economy, without respect to the
immediate political impact in any case. We analyze crisis in order to
understand the world we live in, just as we analyze climate change, new
patterns of imperialist penetration, how capitalism originated, the
latest Coen Brothers movie, the state of organized religion, etc. We
should take our cue from the writings of CLR James, Mariategui and
Gramsci who when they sat down with pen in hand, it was not always to
draft a preconvention discussion article.