> What would make it a crisis of capitalism?  Was the Great Depression a
> crisis of capitalism?
>
> This is a good question and one that is rather difficult to answer.  I did
a bit of work on this issue for my MA thesis using Gramsci.  He conceives of
both economic crisis- crisis in capitalism- and what he calls an 'organic
crisis'- a crisis of legitimacy of the whole system or the social relations
(classes) as they currently are.  That is to say, that it is a political or
ideological question.  This is what I think Carrol was getting on about:
that an economic crisis does not necessarily lead to a crisis of
legitimacy for the ruling class, or a crisis of the ideology of capitalist
social property relations.  Unlike Carrol, I think these economic crisis
hold the potential to agitate and create a crisis of legitimacy for the
ruling class and the ideology of the system of class relations.   I think
the idea that only during 'good times' do people have the space, security
and courage to push for change, is fundamentally and historically wrong.
For under these 'good times', unlike during crises, any changes sought will
not challenge the dominant form of social relations because it is not seen
as the problem.  Rather, these 'good time' movements will seek to enhance
their position within capitalism, not challenge it, as they are still locked
in capitalist ideological understandings of the problems (this is the basis
of a strong critique of the movements of the 1960s, which I don't want to
get into).

I would argue, and this is just a matter of how you slice up the matter,
that the great depression was a crisis of capitalism- organic crisis- due to
the many who actually began to question the very class bifurcated basis of
our society as the root of their problems. Of course, the class ideology was
reasserted by the active intervention of the state and its ideological
apparatuses, and/or the failure of the left to seize the moment and push it
further and spread the ideological breakdown across society.  This same
reassertion seems to be at work again and I think the starting point of the
left versus the ruling class was at a much greater disadvantage, or level of
development, during this economic crisis than that one.  But, when the
second wave of the crisis hits, if the left is up to it, there will be
further openings that could be grasped.

Sol,

Brad