> The India v. Pakistan rivalry, with its concomitant ethnic
> nationalism, fosters strong emotions on both sides.  Thus the lashing
> out . I imagine the attacks on Mumbai did not help. But still....
>
> G.

Rakesh was born and raised in Silicon Valley and has about little
identification with Indian nationalism as I've seen from someone with that
ethnic background. His positions on Afghanistan may have something to do
with this, but the larger problem is his seeming loss of a class
perspective--particularly with respect to imperial power.