Real income can not have a simple relation to productivity. Even if
politics and policy allowed real wages to track worker productivity
there are other limits to real income.

Total output is the product of labor productivity, hours worked, and the
number of workers. Since total output is now limited by resource
scarcity, rising productivity must result in fewer workers and/or fewer
hours per worker. (trading services must not be confused with producing
necessary physical output)

As the global scale of consumption presses on resources any additional
increase in productivity can not result an increase in total real
income. The assumption that labor is the weak link in the economy is
no longer true, but that assumption is so deeply embedded in our culture
and our theories that it seems that any adjustments to our new
circumstances will be too little and too late.

Don't abandon the old theories just yet. Someday after chaos and
scarcity reduce productivity and population, the old theories about
labor scarcity and resource abundance will be true once more.

Barry