On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 12:00 -0700, marxism-requ...@lists.econ.utah.edu
wrote:
> We need to define "anti-capitalism," because there is a tradition in
> the
> anarchist movement of defending individual property rights to the
> point
> where it smudges into a libertarian hostility to government regulation
> and
> what amounts to the idolatry of the free market...which isn't a state
> planned economy.  (Maybe this is more a problem among US and Canadian
> anarchists, but I doubt it.)

I can assure you that the equation of "Anarchism" and "Libertarianism"
with Capitalism, Rayndism and idolatry of the "free" market is confined
to the US.
Everywhere else, "anarchism" since the 1860s is synonymous with
communism and radical anti-capitalism. Even Proudhon in the 1840s can
not be considered pro-capitalist, but was rather in favour of
collectivizing banks, industrial cooperatives and small agricultural
holdings where wage-labour and exploitation would be impossible.

Only such people as Tucker and Spooner in the US ever claimed that
capitalism (and I think he did not mean large corporations but
individuals) was compatible with Anarchism.
To a non-US reader, a French reader say, it is actually quite confusing
to read about American "Libertarians" exhorting Bush to deregulate the
economy and extolling the virtues of entrepreneurs who manage to
successfully exploit their workforce. Such a usage of "Libertarian"
sounds like a contradiction in terms, because if you are against
injustice and authority you can't be on the side of the bosses...  Just
as the term "Liberal" has a weird meaning in the context of American
politics. It means "progressive" and not "pro-free market" as in Europe.