Facebook can be what you make it. I block the news feeds from people
who's status updates annoy me, or just clog up space. I mainly use it
to stay connected to friends who I wouldn't normally call or see, and
to read news articles that people post which I would otherwise not
find (it kind of serves one of the functions of marxmail, in that
sense). When I get these requests to be a "fan" of XYZ or whatever, I
usually just delete them, though sometimes I click the button if it
seems cool. Whatever. Some of the Facebook crap is annoying, but it
goes with the good stuff. If Facebook is sucking up time, it probably
has more to do with larger difficulties in avoiding easy, impulsive
distractions (I say this as someone who constantly falls victim to
this). This is my personal experience -- I'm open to arguments that
Facebook and Twitter might represent larger setbacks, especially
because so many of my students seems to be completely shaped by them.
But I can't tell if it's Facebook and Twitter that's eroding their
attention spans and helping them stay in a bubble, or if it's other
stuff. I suspect that if the shit hits the fan, these social
networking things will not matter, except that they will facilitate
both resistance and repression.