A union lawyer told me in 2001, when I was fighting local Michigan government
for my county job as an environmental researcher (which I was eventually fired
from for being truthful and honest about the real condition of the local
environment), "Academics don't get it Brian. Tenure is practically useless when
the going gets rough. There's nothing stronger than a faculty union."

I am now tenure track at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. About 50% of the
faculty there are adjuncts, often working at half my pay (they started a union,
LEO, 5 years ago and got increase benefits, but still paltry compared to
tenured faculty). Many have worked there over 20 years!

I was told that there was a semi successful U if Michigan faculty union drive a
while back, and even though the majority of faculty voted YES to union, a judge
threw it out. WHY?  Well, because U of MI has three campuses: Ann Arbor,
Dearborn and Flint. Faculty at Dearborn and Flint both overwhelmingly voted YES
for the union. Ann Arbor's tenured and tenure track faculty voted NO.

The judge said not union unless Ann Arbor votes YES too.

Ha!

Brian