Nobody seeking a tenured job willingly take one in a state that break this
arrangement with those who have them.

Many universities have created such a tiered faculty that coming after
tenured faculty isn't worth what the cost in political capital for what they
get out of it.

We have a fairly strong union, as these things go, but it's a child of the
tenured in the prestigeous parts of the university.  The main thing we've
needed to do for years is to address the divisions in the faculty itself.
The problem within the faculty has always been the problem with craft unions
representing an aristocracy of labor.  Here, innovations of all sort are
implemented on the part-timers and the newcomers, and the tenured few are
left alone.  The question is whether they replace tenured retirees with
tenureable hires.

And, of course, we can expect a trend where the teaching load tenured
faculty carry can be expected to increase.

All that said, tenure is alive and well and it still means something.

It's just that that it is changing.

ML