I'm actually just re-reading Considerations on Western Marxism now. I
think Perry's piece was engaging, but that line did catch me by
surprise (lower case "c" too)... did he give up on Marxist histography
sometime after 1980? Because Arguments Within English Marxism,
Considerations and his extended essay on Gramsci from the 1970s are
masterpieces. Of his recent stuff I don't know, but I think his
Renewals essay from 2000 and his critical coverage of The Age of
Extremes have their merits.  I'm far more critical of the recent
trajectory of Tariq Ali.