http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9ETR1380&show_article=1

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea
party  movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal
values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The
fact that they're black—or that most tea partyers are white—should
have nothing to do with it, they say.

"You have to be honest and true to yourself. What am I supposed to do,
vote Democratic just to be popular? Just to fit in?" asked Clifton
Bazar, a 45-year-old New Jersey freelance photographer and
conservative blogger.

Opponents have branded the tea party as a group of racists hiding
behind economic concerns—and reports that some tea partyers were
lobbing racist slurs at black congressmen during last month's heated
health care vote give them ammunition.

But these black conservatives don't consider racism representative of
the movement as a whole—or race a reason to support it.

Angela McGlowan, a black congressional candidate from Mississippi,
said her tea party involvement is "not about a black or white issue."

"It's not even about Republican or Democrat, from my standpoint," she
told The Associated Press. "All of us are taxed too much."