No, my understanding of it was not that they attracted the support of any
Perot-Buchanan vehicle, but rather commandeered or co-opted or hijacked the
moribund organizational shell of it in order to obtain the ballot status
associated with it so they wouldn't have to go through the laborious
petitioning process.  a little bare knuckled? So what?  Thus it had nothing
to do with being politically unclear to attract the political support of
those reactionaries-who had largely abandoned it by that point and with whom
they had no interest in having any truck-and who were not involved in this
process any more than when someone might obtain a newspaper or radio station
with a certain previous political orientation in order to obtain its
facilities, acquisitions that are sometimes "hostile take-overs" that have
little or nothing to do with pandering to the political sensibilities of its
previous constituency, Murdoch's take over of the New York Post being a
classic example.