correction to previous: the trillions should have referred to dollar
amounts; the trades were in the order of millions. Thus from Pam
Martens' Counterpunch article on the episode:
"According to Mr. Duffy, there were 1.6 million (yes, million)
contracts traded in the E-Mini S&P 500 in the pivotal hour of 2:00 to
3:00 p.m. New York time.... Last week Reuters leaked an internal
document from the CME showing that Waddell & Reed has sold 75,000
contracts during that period with the suggestion that it might have
triggered the plunge."
Think of that: ONE firm alone had contracts for 75,000 stocks to trade
in that hour.
If we were using these computers even to track prices every day in
order to have accurate inputs into an input-output table for the whole
economy, could we possibly need all these contracts (or their
nonmarket equivalent)? Not even a small fraction of them!