Allan wrote:
> Louis - why not go to and use Mac's BSD bash shell directly?
>
> You could open a terminal window and change directory to the movies
> folder and use ls -l and note the number of bytes for the files in question.
>
> I don't have access to a Mac right now (using Ubuntu Linux), otherwise I
> would be more specific.

Thanks to everyone who got in touch. My problem was that I was looking
for size in "all movies" in the finder when I really needed to look at
the folder "movies" in my home directory. Once I opened that folder, the
  event subfolders' size could be interrogated using command-I. By day,
I am a unix programmer and could have used the ls -l command but I am
still trying to get up to speed on the Mac OS.