On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:06:45 -0400
Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> wrote:

> > The assertion that "the bourgeois prefers democratic forms" is, of
> > course, received wisdom, but do we have any real evidentiary basis
> > for believing it?
>
> Yes, you can read about how the German bourgeoisie only turned to
> Hitler when all other options failed. I recommend William Shirer's
> history, as well as Daniel Guerin's more Marxist-oriented work.

Point taken. But I wonder whether we don't suffer sometimes from
1930/1930 vision: -- the events of the 30s are taken as normative
and definitory. The abrupt turn to Fascism then does look very much
like a response to crisis. The phenomenon I think in see in process
now is perhaps a bit different -- it has gradualist, incremental,
statistical dynamics rather than catastrophist ones.

--

Michael Smith
m...@smithbowen.net

"Everyone has his favorite passage from the
Theodosian Code." -- M I Finley