LP writes:

"Instead, it is a deliberate strategy carried out by small groups with
absolutely no commitment to mass action. Their only interest in mass actions
is how they can be used as an opportunity to launch "exemplary action". The
anarchists, especially those that employ black bloc tactics, are
anti-Marxist in the sense that they oppose organizing the masses."

That is certainly the strategy of some; it is certainly not the strategy or
the reasoning of all who engage in violent confrontation in Toronto, no more
than it was the strategy of all who participated in the 1999 struggle in
Seattle; the battles in Genoa; etc. etc.

The question really does become one of organization.

Since I'm dredging up my personal memories, -- I forgot to include another
part of my experience-- in Chicago in the summer of 1966 with the open
housing drive [think it was 1966].

There demonstrations were held in "tough" white neighborhoods of Gage Park,
Marquette Park, and Belmont-Cragin.  The violence visited upon us was....
scary, scarier than any subsequent violence from the police I ever faced
BTW.

We, the demonstrators were completely non-violent-- because we were trained
to be that way-- we were organized to be that way, and we were also
organized and trained to protect each other.

The point being-- without such organization you cannot expect ALL
demonstrators  in confrontations to exercise non-violence as a tactic.

[I'm sure Lou and other separate legitimate self-defense from their issues
with the black bloc.  My point here is the importance of organization.]

The burden then is on Marxists to provide a level of organization that can
confront the bourgeoisie, defend the demonstrators, and threaten the
exercise
of repression at a level that makes the tactics of a "black bloc" obsolete;
that isolates those whose, in Lou's words,  "only interest in mass actions
is how they can be used as an opportunity to launch "exemplary action". "