Louis Proyect wrote:
The answer is yes.
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/greenstein220810.html

Fred Feldman:
Although I am completely in support of Boycott-Divestment-Sanctions against
Israel, I have to ask:

If Israel is an apartheid state, does that mean that South Africa was a
Zionist state?

And if Israel became specifically an apartheid state, a state based
ideologically and  physically on universal racial separation, when did this
happen? I assume 1948, the same year the 100 percent apartheid forces won
power in South Africa. In the years since, has Israel ever established the
degree of rigid racial separation that Stridjom, Verwoerd, and others
enthusiastically sought. Not just proposals in the parliament or positions
of Liberman or polls of the racist-educated Israeli poll victims, but state
institutions that are identical to apartheid?

Is the weight of tribalism rather than nationalism, comparable in Israel to
the situation in South Africa out of which Separate Development as the white
ruling class solution emerged. I think not. I think the Palestinians were a
developing though very weak developing nation in 1948.  For Israel the true
Bantustan option was never open, and isn't now.

I am not convinced by the article Louis submitted, though it is very useful
in developing the parallels, but very dismissive of every trace of
difference. In my opinion, the equation of apartheid with every racist
regime misses things that can be fundamental for revolutionary tactics, and
especially the tactics to be followed within the country which, in my
opinion, they tend to regiment excessively.

I have always felt that these were two examples of the similar but not
identical dynamic of settler-colonial states established under conditions of
imperialist world dominance. (The imperialist countries of a
settler-colonial character also tend to be different from these and from
each other.)

They tend to all be racist states -- as we are being reminded, in case we
forgot, by the current campaigns against Muslims in the US and their
religious institutions and (frankly) havens.

Among other things, of course, the complex differences between the two
racist settler-colonial states is reflected in the perspective of creating
a Palestinian state out of whatever territory they still occupy and whatever
colonial settlements they can force out.

This was the perspective that Yasir Arafat stated at the UN in 1975 -- the
establishment of a Palestinian state on any territory that can be liberated
from the state of Israel's control.

In the context of the apartheid version, most seem to the creation of a
Palestinian Bantustan. It's nationwide victory now or nothing. But since
nationwide victory now is impossible....What?

Do we defend the independence of Gaza? It is a fact and it will not do to
simply dissolve this development into terms like "prison camp" because of
the imperialist-supported Israeli boycott, war, and its brutal consequences.
Should the Gazans demand reintegration into Israel on the basis of one-man,
one-vote? More importantly, should we call on them to do so?

I don't have a problem with labeling the complexly different Israel system
as apartheid as popular propaganda. There are more than enough parallels to
justify the analogy. But I worry about the over-adaptation of the analysis
to the propaganda.

I want stress that I would have no trouble accepting the "apartheid" label
(as a popular synonym for "racist regime") if I was convinced that comrades
really grasped that the Palestinians have a right to fight not just for a
single-state Palestine solution, but for whatever they are strong enough to
take in their native land.
Fred Feldman