In a recent issue of the New Yorker Magazine, Malcolm Gladwell found
fault with activism based on Twitter and Facebook. Titled Small Change:
Why the revolution will not be tweeted, it draws a contrast between the
Civil Rights movement of the early 1960s and more recent protests that
rely heavily on social networking.

Ironically, one of the iconic images of this period was a Woolworth’s
sit-in in Jackson, Mississippi on May 28, 1963 with a young Native
American professor named John Salter sitting next to Black civil rights
activists being assaulted by racists:

Salter describes the incident thusly:

        This was the most violently attacked sit-in during the 1960s and is the
most publicized. A huge mob gathered, with open police support while the
three of us sat there for three hours. I was attacked with fists, brass
knuckles and the broken portions of glass sugar containers, and was
burned with cigarettes. I’m covered with blood and we were all covered
by salt, sugar, mustard, and various other things.

John Salter goes by the name Hunter Gray nowadays. Now I don’t know if
Hunter uses Twitter or Facebook, but I do know him as an enthusiastic
user of Internet resources from his authoritative website
http://www.hunterbear.org/ to his participation on Marxmail, a listserv
I launched in 1998. Hunter also moderates at least two listservs
himself, not worrying about whether this passes muster with Malcolm
Gladwell.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2010/10/17/revolutionary-politics-and-social-networking/