http://www.firstofthemonth.org/archives/2010/10/left_behind_the.html

Left Behind: The Rapture
By Charles O'Brien

Michael Berube, The Left at War, New York University Press
The Invisible Committee, The Coming Insurrection, Semiotexte
Tom McDonough, ed., The Situationists and the City, Verso

The three works under consideration here – the first, a survey of
assorted leftist interventions from the past couple of decades,
the second, a political sensation from a couple of years ago, the
third, an assemblage of texts from the 50s and 60s – have nothing
to do with anything in the news now. But, taken together, they
tell us enough about where we are. It isn’t good.

Michael Berube’s book is clearly occasioned by the Great Debate on
the left over the Iraq War (the debate consisting largely of
furious takfiri denunciations of those who have strayed from
orthodoxy). But the book has broader, Jamesonian aspirations. So,
for instance, we are offered a long discussion of Stuart Hall, and
disagreements over the Kosovo war are gone over. It begins with a
little Obama-ite triumphalism. The introduction starts:

“This is, I hope, an untimely book.”

Alas, no. Or if it is untimely, it is not because it is classic,
purged of the purely topical, rather, it is untimely in a
why-are-you-telling-me-this sense. The book is full of such
sentences as “the collapse of the American news media must be seen
in this context,” and “Chomsky has drawn fire longer than either
Said or Foucault, and on more fronts, but he is not iconic for
that reason alone.” The nub of the book, though, appears right up
front: the aAcknowledgements.

“Writing this book has been a thoroughly collaborative enterprise
for me,” he begins. Such Grammy-speak shall not be tolerated. The
book is all him. The second sentence:

     Chris Robinson, a brilliant assistant professor of Political
Science at Clarkson University

But it is not clear whether he is brilliant and an assistant etc.
or brilliant for an assistant etc., and of course, we can only
take Mr. Berube’s word for it either way.

     (and like me a lifelong fan of the New York Rangers)

noted.

     read the first complete draft of the book and offered a
ten-page critique of everything I’d written to that point.

Thank me later!

The adventure continues:

     Bruce Robbins, Cary Nelson and Danny Postel read the second
complete draft and gave me the confidence to start the third.

How they did that he doesn’t say, and I’m not sure such modernist
hijinx in the narrative serve him very well here:

     Matt Burstein, assistant professor of philosophy, at the
University of Pittsburgh-Johnston, generously offered to read the
recent drafts as well, even though he was juggling four classes a
semester.

Full stop, as the plot thickens.

     He too responded with a ten-page critique of everything I’d
written;

It’s getting kind of hectic.

     Indeed,

!

     it was he who suggested the term “Manichean Left,” and I have
taken the suggestion.

Later in the book, Berube tells how he came to adopt the term
“Manichean Left.” He considered, and rejected, other terms to
characterize the other, disfavored left. The “academic left,” for
example, wouldn’t do. (For one thing, it would have to include
Berube himself.1) The “Manichean Left,” in his account, sees
everything in stark, black-and-white either/or terms, so that if a
Clinton is wrong, a Milosevic must be right. Forget that there’s
already a perfectly good term for the phenomenon, recuperation.
Berube doesn’t explain why he needed just this term, “Manichean,”
with all its theological specificity. The all-black-or-all-white
perspective might have been caught by the term — “checkerboard
left,” which would have evoked just the right memories of dead
time. Or the “digital left” summons up the picture of a slightly
malfunctioning cyborg with random issues of The Nation on its hard
drive. The term “Manichean Left” would be indefensible except that
it excites an imagination avid of better names.

     Amanda Anderson and Eric Zimmer read the third draft and let
me know how to tweak the fourth into its currentform;

Would that, I wonder, be the book in my hand?

     Ben Carrington read the Stuart Hall chapter and festooned the
margins with incisive and instructive notes;

But not, I’d wager, “Exterminate the brutes!”

     Christopher Lane gave me invaluably stringent feedback on a
talk I delivered just as I was mapping out the plan for the book;

Invaluably!

     and Larry Grossberg read the Stuart Hall and cultural studies
chapters with a characteristically keen eye.

A dead eye would have been preferable.

He goes on to thank “my listeners and interlocutors” at a long
list of places. He is “especially grateful” to a short list of
fifteen individuals for their “kindness, hospitality, intelligence
and dialogism.” He thanks Leo Casey for three things. First come
the “many online conversations.” Next come “our long talks in a
Park Slope coffeer shop in the dark days of 2002-3.” And then, for
“sending me his work on Schmidt, Hobbes, Dewey and Gramsci.” It’s
like the Twelve Days of Christmas, but tighter.

Memorably — at least to me — he thanks Michael Walzer:

     To Michael Walzer, I owe a simple debt of gratitude: after
mistakenly identifying him as a supporter of the war in Iraq in a
Boston Globe essay of September 2002 (indeed, just before he
published an essay in which he concluded that “the
administration’s war is neither just nor necessary”), he responded
not by telling me to get a clue but by graciously inviting me to
write for Dissent.

And here I discover just how immune I am to the Berube magic. In
marked contrast to his experience with Michael Walzer; there’s
this. At First’s website, I broke the story that Walzer turns up
for about twenty minutes in the John Edwards-Rielle Hunter sex
tape. Because I considered the story poorly sourced, I soon
deleted the post (in fact I had simply made it up). In my case,
though, far from soliciting contributions from me for Dissent, Mr.
Walzer has maintained a stony silence.

Berube continues:

     I did not have a chance to start working seriously on [this
book] until the National Humanities Center offered me an Assad
Meymandi Fellowship for the month of March 2006. Some year-long
Center fellows asked me what I could possibly do with a mere month
of fellowship time; I can now tell them that I had four glorious
weeks in which to read from morning until night, collect my
thoughts, make my notes, and even - sometimes – sit in silence. I
had not realized until I arrived in the Research Triangle (North
Carolina) that I had never at any point in my adult life lived
alone; but I can say with gratitude that the experience of sitting
in silence and thinking after reading eight or ten hours is really
quite extraordinary.

Did it ever occur to him to quit his job?