On Dec 1, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Paddy Apling wrote:

> I spent several years of my youth in Venezia Giulia, as a junior
> office in the British Army...

> ...I knew very well that...they had only begun the Second Front (D-
> DAY) BECAUSE OTHERWISE THE WHOLE OF Western Europe would certainly
> be liberated from the Nazis by the Red Army...

I was a bit younger than Paddy, but I remember, in 1942-43, reading
the Daily Worker and PM, listening to Johannes Steel and Elmer Davis
on the radio.  For two years the whole of Stalinist/fellow-traveler
propaganda centered on one and only one point: the demand for an
immediate Second Front.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64