I have not seen Deadwood and one reason is that I do not subscribe to HBO - but
if the Deadwood tv show protrays Wild Bill Hickcock other than the Gay man that
he was - then we have a continuation of the homophobic crap foisted previously
- when ealier U. S. tv shows had portrayed lies about native people and that
all western cowboys were heteros!!! His
best female friend Calamity Jane was a noted shootist - but her Lesbianism was
never acknowledged during or since that time.

Bill Hickcock was murdered, shot in the back in Deadwood City, while playing
cards - and the cards he held became known as the Deadman's Hand, because of
his murder.