Mark me down as a fan of "Deadwood" as well...for all the reasons noted.
The writing was exquisite and the cast superb.

As with True Grit, it used an authentic vocabulary in a dialogue that was
literary and played for effect. The vulgarity was likely some of the most
authentic features of its language.  For all of its innovativeness, I don't
think the last century has added much at all to the vocabularity of
profanity.  I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I wouldn't be
surprised if most of it was in place very early in the emergence of modern
language.  Linguists say that the terminology for body parts and bodily
functions are among the first locked into place in the evolution of
language.

I don't know about Wild Bill, but "Deadwood" conveyed a lot of the sexual
tensions and ambiguities in an overwhelmingly male only society.  Nor did it
have any problems portraying Calamity Jane's sexuality pretty clearly and
quite sympathetically.

ML