On 2011-01-12, at 9:55 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

...if someone stabbed a
> stranger on the street because Jesus commanded him to, we wouldn't connect
> this act to Christianity.

A complete stranger, no. The act would be incomprehensible. It would have no
evident relationship to Christianity. But if the target were an abortion
provider, we might well say that the delusions which triggered the murderous
act were shaped by his fundamentalist Protestant or Catholic milieu, and that
the target was not a random stranger on the street, an unfortunate victim of a
deranged mind. This is what I understood the psychiatrist on CNN to be saying.
Loughner deliberately targeted Giffords, the widely-publicized metaphorical
target of white Republicans in Arizona, and there is enough his ramblings which
evoke right-wing themes, to suggest that his  evidently schizophrenic behaviour
can't entirely be disassociated from the social and political climate which
nurtured it.