I don't know the extent to which I'd call them particularly tea party
assumptions--these seem to me the kind of dumbest version of
neoconservativism.

...but, yes, I hear it all the time and from most of the students...things
like the private sector works better than the public sector...government is
anti-business...media is liberal...war is good for the economy...race is a
dead issue...etc.

I think it's just because they're not really hearing much else.  They figure
it out pretty well, if they invest some thought in it.  But when the
assumptions are presented to them as self-evident truths, they tend not to
invest much in thinking about them....

ML