Comment

Trade union work is important. On my list of five important things for
Marxists, trade union work comes in about 3 or 4.

I know something of this arena, reporting from time to time to this list on
 the specific nature of MY trade union work; the specific problems in
getting MY  union into action and the nature of resistance of the union
bureaucracy. Changes  in the UAW since the Constitutional Convention and the
health
care fight have  been forwarded to this list in real time.

Actually, I know a lot about the question of trade unions as history and in
 real time.

There is a theory question involved in the "question of the trade union"s
and "communist work within the trade unions" basically ignored or not
understood by American Marxism.

When the US economy shifted from small manufacturing plants comprised of
mainly skilled craft workers to gigantic factories employing tens of
thousands  of workers, that quantitative shift from one boundary to another
threw
the  material form of the union movement and society into turmoil. If that
degree of  change could upset things so much, how much more profound can we
expect the  social consequences to be to society moving from industrial
production to  production carried out by a new technology regime with almost no
human  labor?  In 1919, actually I have in mind the Fisher Body strike of
February  1921; the communist positioned themselves on the rising curve of the
industrial  trade union form.

How can we not expect the qualitative changes in the means of production to
 NOT affect us in a more radical way? I do not avoid trade union work but
the  issue is not discussed as it is being experienced in real time Detroit.
Yes,  opportunism and betrayal has existed but the salient feature is the
change in  environment in which the unions cannot really help the workers hold
on to good  paying jobs.

I write about extending the union as an organization into a social
movement, rather than economism.  Building a revolutionary cadre within the
union
sounds good but a lot more is involved requiring charting our path forward
as we travel a new path. The leap we face is greater than the leap from
craft to  industrial  unionism. Every union leader worth their salt understand
this  process on one level of another but the Marxists do not understand it
and fail  to arm the fighting section of the unions with a vision and class
consciousness.

Discussion is more interesting to me when we leave sloganeering and speak
of real events and the dialectic of process. What did Lenin, Stalin, Mao and
 Enver write about this leap we are experiencing? I am not an economist
with  anarcho syndaclist visions kow towing to "trade unionism" pure and
simple. The  line of march is along the dialectic of the leap no different than
the communist  of the 1921 Fisher Body strike.

The industrial trade union form is spent. Communists stuck in the old
market or past are going to be run over and left on the side.

I am aware that concept like "new class" means different things to
different people, but since we deploy this term at least allow one to explain
that
the material form of the working class changes as Engels wrote about in
detail. This means the trade union form must change or die.

II.

Fighting for "socially necessary means of life" for those without money is
urgent. Things are going to only get worse, not better. The hate spewed
forth  under the banner of the "Welfare Queen" is rotten white chauvinism and
the stock  in trade of the ideological fascist.

Our proletariat is facing catastrophe. A new era of social revolution has
opened.

The struggle of the unemployed has ALWAYS galvanize our proletariat during
acute crisis. People not interested in this work should not do it.

In regard to work amongst the unemployed and trade union work the Dave
Moore Interview was sent to the list.  Moore was an old communist - a black
guy, out of Local 600 or Ford Rouge, which was the decisive place where unity
of  the proletariat was won.

III.

I vote that "socially necessary means of life," are immediately declared a
birth right, and reject the concept and political slogan, "Those that do
not  work shall not eat."

Of this there can be no compromise.

"Socially necessary means of life" as a sovereign birth right is the
historic communist vision.

The concept of a job, like home ownership and the work ethic is just so
much bourgeois ideology. Marx never speaks of jobs. Never. If one choose to
interpret "ability" to mean "ability to do a job" that is their choice.

This is a theory question.

And there is more than meets the eye in unraveling the meaning of social
production.

Waistline

In a message dated 1/21/2011 10:15:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,