----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 6:08 PM
Subject: Foot & Mouth Disease

Am I misreading the excerpted text that follows this message?  I interpret
the text, which appeared in a March 3, 2001, New York Times article, as
saying that all the animals being slaughtered to prevent the spread of foot
and mouth disease are being slaughtered for monetary reasons.

"Foot-and-mouth disease is rarely fatal to adult animals, which
usually recover in a matter of weeks. But dairy cows begin
producing less milk, and infected animals lose weight, making them
less valuable on the market. Younger animals often die.

"In clinical terms, foot-and-mouth is about as serious, to animals
or to people, as a bad cold," Abigail Wood, a veterinarian and
researcher on the the disease at the Wellcome Trust at the
University of Manchester, wrote in The Times of London.

But most countries will not import meat or animals from countries
where the disease occurs, and in today's cutthroat farming
industry, "productivity is everything," Ms. Wood wrote. "A slower
growth-rate, a lesser yield, is intolerable. And with markets being
global or nothing at all, a Britain with foot-and-mouth would find
its meat unexportable and its farmers bankrupted."

Marj