You would not be surprised that since nouveaux-riches in Russia
introduced their democracy in 1991, they have been continuously making
attempts to modify it so that it would make existence of communist
organisations illegal. The last major one was a bill “to prevent the
communist revanche” introduced by an infamous politician, radical
fascist Zhirinovsky in August 2000.
        The bill proposes to ban issuing communists statements and using
any communistic symbols in any state authority and in campaigns in
all­Russian and local elections. It reads that “parties and movements
defending the communist ideas should only be allowed to participate in
elections as parts of movements and blocs, whose names and programmes
are different to those of communists.” Furthermore, not only should it
be illegal to use “communist” as a title to stand in elections, but
also the “equivalents” of that term — “Marxist”, “Marxist-Leninist”,
“Lenin’s”, “Stalin’s”, “Soviet”, “worker-peasant” and, believe it or
not, — “international”!
        And then, comes the classic anti-communism: banning any calls for
forcible overthrow of the Constitutional System in Russian Federation.
        This time, the above bill was lost in time because of its
absurdity. However, Soviet communists regard such attempts as something
more serious than bad jokes. With Putin now rewriting the official
ideology to give the highest priority to the “law”, it is realistically
possible that his regime will revert to reactionary practice (including
open fascism) as the crisis aggravates.

With communistic greetings,                     Viktor Bourenkov.