On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:25:12 -0800
Paul Wallingford <p...@cybergestalt.net> wrote:

> I did some research into this.  It is a bit obscure and information is
> not easy to find.  I believe the scan is referencing HTTP Parameter
> Pollution (HPP).
>
> See: http://www.iseclab.org/people/embyte/slides/BHEU2011/hpp-bhEU2011.pdf
>
> Essentially, it comes down to how the application or framework handles
> multiple sources of the same parameter.  There are several ways an
> attacker can pollute the parameters.

This is an interesting read, and I agree that this may be a problem,
but its most potent use seems to be exposing either a forgotten
URL-encode, or a validation or logic error of sorts in the author's
code. Both must be combined with social engineering to work.

HPWI SUMMARY ON POST/GET COLLAPSE:
> Some web frameworks collapse the POST and GET parameters into a single
> collection. This is a flawed design pattern from a security standpoint.
> If a page accepts POST parameters as GET parameters an attacker would be
> able to effect change on websites through Cross-Site Request Forgery or
> leverage this design flaw with other vulnerabilities to attack the
> system hosting the web application.

I can understand why they are saying it is flawed, but it has little to
do with CSRF (except making it a tad easier)

What I think it is saying that, let's say you have a forums software
with a POST/GET collapse and you forget to explicitly check for POST in
one of the functions. If so, an attacker can compose a post that embeds
an "image" link that (say) deletes the user's account. If a user visits
a thread that contains that post, his account will be deleted.
(Alternatively, the attacker may have posted a link to the deletion via
a URL-shortener and it would have had a similar effect.)

What this did was exposed a pre-existing vulnerability (lack of POST
checking) to create a worse CSRF situation. If this collapse was not in
effect, the attacker would have had to inject javascript (much harder)
or get a user to visit an external link to trigger this vulnerability.

If there had been CSRF checks in place (e.g. "Please enter your password
to delete your account"), the POST/GET collapse would not have affected
a thing.