Taking your approach, the first line that seems to bonk (in the
autohandler) is this one:

my $dbh = DBI->connect("$dsn", "$user", "$pwd");

But, if I put that line in a perl script and execute it command line, it
works just fine.  And it has nothing to do with PHP.  And, instead of 502 I
get 324 (Empty Response).

Does that give me anywhere to go from here?

Thanks for the help so far,
Eddie