As it says in Changes 2.14:

** Incompatible changes
  - Deprecate %%-lines, <%args> section and <%shared> section, which IMO add
    unnecessary TMTOWTDI. Standardize on the <%class> section and Moose 'has'
    declarations. These alternate syntaxes may make it into a plugin.

So %% is deprecated and will probably disappear at some point, though it could
easily be put into a plugin.