***************************************
Further details for the conference can be found at
http://math.nie.edu.sg/earcome/
***************************************

FIRST ANNOUNCEMEnt

ICMI-EARCOME 2002 / SEACME 9

Mathematics Education for a Knowledge-Based Era

May 27-31, 2002

Singapore

The second ICMI-EARCOME (East Asia Regional Conference on Mathematics
Education) is to be held in Singapore in May 2002. This conference,
organized by an International Programme Committee, will be hosted by
the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological
University, Singapore and the Association of Mathematics Educators,
Singapore. This conference will also be designated as the Ninth
Southeast Asian Conference on Mathematics Education or SEACME 9.

EARCOME 2002 combines two conferences in two separate series of
conferences in the East Asia region. The First East Asian Regional
Conference on Mathematics Education (EARCOME) was held in Korea in
1998. Two earlier East Asian conferences held before EARCOME were the
ICMI-China Regional Conferences on Mathematics Education, Beijing
(1991) and Shanghai (1994). The SEACME series has a longer history
and the conferences are held triennially, in Manilla (1978), Kuala
Lumpur (1981), Haad Yai (1984), Singapore (1987), Brunei (1990),
Surabaya (1993), Hanoi (1996) and Manila (1999).

Singapore is a small nation situated at one of the most important
crossroads of the world. It is a country where modern facilities and
a fast pace of life combine with traditional values of the ancient
civilizations of our forebears. Singapore was put on the world map of
Mathematics Education with her students' performance in the Third
International Mathematics and Science Study [TIMSS]. While proud of
our students' achievement, Singapore educators realize that there is
much to learn from the international community of Mathematics
Educators. It is our belief that our teachers and educators will
truly benefit from this conference which will bring to our shores
mathematics educators who will share their expertise and discuss the
many issues in mathematics education. We invite you to be a part of
this exchange of ideas and look forward to your participation in
ICMI-EARCOME 2002 & SEACME 9.

Ng Swee Fong, Chairperson
Local Organising Committee

THEME

"Mathematics Education for A Knowledge-Based Era"

The conference theme will be explored through four principal areas :

. Assessment

. Technology

. Teacher Education

. Curriculum

It is anticipated that papers will address the conference theme,
reflecting upon issues, concerns and consideration appropriate to
mathematics teaching and learning at primary, secondary and
post-secondary levels.

We must acknowledge the extraordinary and accelerating rate of change
that is occurring in our knowledge-based era. Much of this change is
dominated by quantitative information and the means used to
communicate this information. As educators,

.  How can we adjust to the requirements of new knowledge, tools,
ways of doing and communicating mathematics, and so on ?

.  How do we make adjustments to include support for learners with a
host of diverse needs?

.  How can the needs of learners be addressed to meet the demands of
a rapidly changing world?

Researchers, policy makers, mathematics educators and teachers are
invited to share their knowledge at the first ICMI-EARCOME conference
of the twenty-first century.

REPLY FORM

ICMI-EARCOME 2002

Please print or type (underline family name)
      Prof               Dr               Mr               Mrs               Ms

Family Name:

First Name:

Affiliation/Company:

Address:

City / Zip Code:

Country:

Telephone:  (           )

Fax:  (          )

E-mail:

I am interested to (please tick choice) :

. Participate as a delegate. Please place me on your mailing list for
more information on the conference. The topics of my interest are :

. Submit an abstract entitled :

. Participate in the exhibition. Please send me more information.

. Interested in sponsorship opportunities. Please send me more information.

Please mail, fax or E-mail this Reply Slip to:

ICMI-EARCOME 2002, SEACME 9
Conference Secretariat
c/o Conference & Travel Management Associates Pte Ltd
425A Race Course Road
Singapore 218671
Republic of Singapore

Phone:    (65) 299-8992
Fax :       (65) 299-8983
Email :     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------------------------
Details of the conference can be found at the website:
http://math.nie.edu.sg/earcome/
Jerry P.Becker
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Southern Illinois University