Readers:

The Education Week article below was posted to the list on June 1,
2001. The article had an incorrect URL forthe  MathematicallySane
website.

Here is the correct URL for the website:

http://MathematicallySane.com/index.html

The E-mail address is:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

***************************************
***************************************
 From Education Week [Teaching and Learning section], May 30, 2001,
Volume 20, Number 38, p. 10. See
http://www.edweek.com/ew/ew_printstory.cfm?slug=38tandl.h20
***************************************

Mathematics Underground

By Jeff Archer, David J. Hoff, & Kathleen Kennedy Manzo

A band of anonymous supporters of progressive mathematics education
has created a Web site to counter a recent tide of criticism aimed at
the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics' standards.

"There are at least two sides to every issue, including the so-called
'math wars,'" says the mission statement posted on
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/index.html. "For too long,
however, the public has heard primarily from the side of the
traditionalists. MathematicallySane.com has been developed to balance
the equation.

"For too long, the case for reform has been unfairly characterized as
'fuzzy math,' " the statement continues. "MathematicallySane has been
created to provide an alternative-and more accurate-view of reform by
making a compelling case that changes in our nation's mathematics
programs are imperative for our students' future success and for the
economic health of our nation."

The site highlights research showing that curricula written to meet
the NCTM standards have yielded growth in student learning, as well
as analysis of the debate over whether to emphasize basic knowledge
and skills or focus on conceptual learning. It includes links to
other organizations' analyses of the math wars, including NCTM
documents that offer brief descriptions of the group's standards.

"We have chosen not to reveal our identities because past experiences
have shown that we would then be targeted as individuals," one of the
organizers wrote in response to an inquiry sent to the site's e-mail
address. "We want people to focus on the information provided on our
site, not on us."

The responder added that more than 300 people had signed up for
MathematicallySane's mailing list since the site was launched May 2.
Jerry P.Becker
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL  62901-4610  USA