 From the website for the conference ...
SINGAPORE CONFERENCE:  The SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT brochure [(pdf file,
105KB] for the second ICMI-EARCOME conference is available at
http://math.nie.edu.sg/earcome/announce.htm . The home website is at
http://math.nie.edu.sg/earcome/home.htm .

The second ICMI-EARCOME (East Asia Regional Conference on Mathematics
Education) is to be held in Singapore May 27-31, 2002. This
conference organised by an International Programme Committee will be
hosted by the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological
University, Singapore and the Association of Mathematics Educators,
Singapore. This conference will also be designated as the Ninth
Southeast Asian Conference on Mathematics Education or SEACME 9.

EARCOME 2002 combines two conferences in two separate series of
conferences in the East Asia region. The First East Asian Regional
Conference on Mathematics Education (EARCOME) was held in Korea in
1998. Two earlier East Asian conferences held before EARCOME were the
ICMI-China
Regional Conferences on Mathematics Education, Beijing (1991) and
Shanghai (1994). The SEACME series has a longer history and the
conferences are held triennially, in Manila (1978), Kuala
Lumpur(1981), Haad Yai (1984), Singapore (1987), Brunei (1990),
Surabaya (1993), Hanoi (1996) and Manila (1999).

Singapore is a small nation situated at one of the most important
crossroads of the world. It is a country where modern facilities and
a fast pace of life combine with traditional values of the ancient
civilisations of our forebears. Singapore was put on the world map of
Mathematics Education with her students' performance in the Third
International Mathematics and Science Study. While proud of our
students' achievement, Singapore educators realise that there is much
to learn from the international community of Mathematics Educators.
It is our belief that our teachers and educators will truly benefit
from this conference which will bring to our shores mathematics
educators who will share their expertise and discuss the many issues
in mathematics education.

We invite you to be a part of this exchange of ideas and look forward
to your participation in ICMI-EARCOME 2002 & SEACME 9.
Jerry P. Becker
Curriculum & Instruction
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL  62901-4610