Sounds like a fine idea to me.  I posted a change to the hairyblocks branch that will use the function name, or text after the cell start as the 'defun' for add log.

The hairyblocks branch has been stable for a while with a lot of developers at MW using it.  It should be ready to merge into the main branch whenever you are ready for it.

Eric