John Hunter wrote:

>     >> This is, what is wanted in 99% of the cases and for every other
>     >> case, a rcfile-option will not help anyway.
>
>     Eric> This sounds ideal to me--it makes everything simpler, both
>     Eric> in the code and in explaining what the behavior is.
>
> Hmm.... I can imagine that there are those who want the default
> markeredgecolor to be the same color as the facecolor, and those who
> want the default edgecolor to be black regardless of facecolor.  I am
> a bit hesitant to pull this functionality, though I agree that simpler
> is better.

This functionality was never there, so nobody can miss it. Before my
changes, the options in matplotlibrc only allowed to specify fixed
colors for mfc and mec. This is now not possible any more, but can
easily be done via kwargs. Automatic coloring was just as inflexible as
it is now but less consistent.

I thought about this kind of configurability, but any clean solution
that I could find, would have become awfully complex.