On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:01, John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Jeff Whitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> John:  I concur with your plan.  The triangulation algorithm used in the
>> natgrid package is quite bulletproof.  Unfortunately, it's GPL and I haven't
>> been able to get NCAR to change the license.  I checked Shewchuk's web page
>> and unfortunately his code comes with this license:
>
> Well there are two parts to his code.  His triangulation code license
> is clearly unacceptable, but we could send Fernando over to talk to
> him (since Fernando is now at Berkeley too) about considering a
> license change.  But his predicates code for orientation and incircle
> tests is in the public domain
> (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/quake/public/code/predicates.c).
>  I think Robert was referring to incorporating these robust tests into
> his code rather than the actual triangle implementation, but perhaps
> he can clarify.

I meant that a Delaunay triangulation routine can be written using
these public domain robust predicates. The current sweepline algorithm
is not formulated to be able to use these predicates, so a different
algorithm has to be implemented rather than simply incorporating the
predicates into the current code.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."