It's been an unusually bumpy release cycle through no fault of the
people involved.  We've just been unlucky this time, I guess... ;)

So -- more bad news:

Julien pointed out a very serious bug this morning, that may warrant
another release...  The gridlines jump around while panning and
zooming.  I fully take credit for introducing this bug a few weeks ago
trying to fix a log scaling problem.  It is now fixed in SVN on 0.98.5
maint and trunk.

Julien also pointed out another bug related to antialiasing which was
caused by code that I intended to be experimental (it was committed only
to the trunk) but made it into the release.  I just want to make a
gentle reminder to the hard-working and exhausted release team to please
make the next bugfix release from the branch, not the trunk.

Unfortunately, I think because of the seriousness of these bugs, another
release should be made asap.  I sincerely apologize for the work this
causes others.  I'm willing to volunteer to do a release to make it up
to Charlie and John, but I'm worried, having seen how finicky the
build/release process is, that I may not actually help... ;(

As for the release following that -- maybe we should step back and try
to find some ways to make it easier.  I'm not trying to second guess us
here -- I think we're doing a lot of things right, but just want to get
a discussion going about whether there's any more tweaks that would be
beneficial.

We're doing some good things already -->

1) The release guide in the developer docs

2) John's recent commits of OS-X release tools

3) Using maintenance branches

We may also want to consider -->

4) Automating (scripting) more of the process where possible (I'm sure
that's not straightforward... just thinking out loud)

5) Release formal "release candidates" -- IMHO these would be most
useful if we expect more people to download and try them than are
already tracking SVN.  But even without that, it may help find packaging
bugs (such as the configobj stuff) before declaring something a "release".

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch